TEETH-IN-AN-DAY™ is a revolutionary concept providing patients with fully functioning teeth on dental implants in a single procedure that takes about an hour. This technology was developed by Nobel Biocare and utilizes collaboration between both the restorative doctor and the implant surgeon. This merging of knowledge and experience achieves not only increased safety, but also a more precise implant placement. In addition, the fabrication of a final prosthesis is completed prior to the surgery. The computer-guided implant surgery is done in an arthroscopic fashion without requiring any flap reflection. This benefits the patient in that there is less postoperative discomfort, less swelling, and less bruising. Patients can often resume their normal activities the next day.
Overview of Dental Implant “Teeth in a Day”
Dental implants are quickly becoming the treatment of choice for millions of patients when facing the need for replacing one or more missing teeth. Not all implant surgeons or procedures are the same and dental implant “Teeth in a Day” should only be considered after the patient has reviewed the facts and options for their particular case. In fact, there are significant differences from one area of the mouth to another. The location and number of missing teeth can significantly change the required level of experience, time and adjunctive procedures needed to ensure the optimal outcome and desired longevity of the replacement tooth. As you have undoubtedly heard on the news, TV or radio, some procedures allow the ability to place implants and secure replacement teeth to them in as little as one day. However, in most cases this is not the appropriate treatment option to provide a long-lasting replacement solution. In fact, only a small minority of patient conditions are suited for this treatment option, and though marketing has focused on this treatment option, it is important to consider your specific needs prior to trying to fit your situation into a narrow window. Below is a list we have developed to help determine if this is the appropriate treatment option for you.
How many teeth are you trying to replace?
- It is important to note that the vast majority of immediate replacement of your existing teeth with permanent “teeth in a day” generally requires the removal of ALL of your remaining teeth as well as significant contouring of your jawbone.
- Only a very limited number of conditions allow a single tooth to be removed and replaced in one day.
What is meant by “permanent teeth in a day”?
- This phrase has two parts. “permanent” and “teeth in a day”.
- Permanent is not your final permanent teeth. They are nearly always a temporary dental prosthesis, a converted denture that is fixated temporarily to your implants. It takes several months and appointments to complete your “final permanent” dental prosthesis.
- “Teeth in a day” Represents this temporary prosthesis and though is very often comfortable and esthetically pleasing, it is a relatively delicate devise and there are many dietary restrictions during the initial healing phase of 4-6 months leading to your final prosthesis.